21 January 2007

I Am An American!

I was reading my Brother's Blog, http://www.johnsegocentricworld.blogspot.com/ and i was wondering if i am a racist. What is a racist? I agree with what that politician said. How much is enough? Am i a racist if i marry within my race? Am i a racist if i support my race? Do i have to discriminate to be a racist? I don't like child molesters, thieves and men who beat their women. Does that make me a racist? Am i a racist if i prefer to be around those who i have more in common with? I hang around with Anglos and do not hang out with other nationalities. Does that make me a racist? If i treat everyone equally that i meet am i a racist? The question is do i really treat everyone equally. Probably not. We tend to show favoritism to those more like ourselves. Seems to me that everyone has a little racism in them.

I was watching TV this weekend and 2 movies got me to thinking. The first was The Patriot. In this movie George Washington agreed to free every slave that fought for the Continental Army for 1 year. This was long before Lincoln Freed the slaves. The second movie was WindTalkers. They treated the Indians like crap. Were they racist or just looking at it differently than we look at it. Let's look at the races that were discriminated against. There is the Jews, Blacks, Indians and Mexicans. What do they have in common? Could it be that they were all conquered? We treated the Indians badly because the whites after the war had a bad taste in their mouth for the way Indians treated women and children in war. Were they wrong for this? The whites were mad at the blacks because they were freed after an investment was made for their labor. The Egyptians still dislike the Jews after they were freed. What is the common denominator here. I really think that we as a people look down on those who were conquered.

I believe that if we continue on the road we are on there will not ever be equality in this country. I may prefer to hang around those of equal color and beliefs as myself but i do not think that makes me a racist. Do i discriminate? I like to think i do not but i am not sure. I do not think discrimination has been properly defined. What makes be better than the other races? Absolutely nothing. We are all just different. We need to accept this. Every race has their own group that give the rest of the race a bad name. It is everywhere. I think it comes down to acceptance.

We need to stop seperating ourselves. We are not African Americans, Mexican Americans or Europeon Americans. As long as we seperate ourselves, we will always be seperated. I am not saying to turn your back on your heritage, but repect my Americanism. Fly the American Flag and proclaim yourself as an American. Don't get mad at people for looking down on you when you start off by procaliming *******American. We are American first. We need to all go back to being simply An American.

No comments: