07 September 2007

New Mexico Constable

I was running a bit late for a meeting in Carlsbad NM. My saleman and myself are making good time down this two lane, well known, frequesntly traveled road. I was driving my new company truck and was digging on the radio. We were between Hobbs and Carlsbad NM. Not very good reception. My salesman was talking on his cell phone and complaining about reception. Neither of us was really paying attention.

I topped this little hill and hollered SHIT. Salesman about crapped himself and said " What the Freak just happened?"

I say " That was a cop we just passed going the other way and he hit his brakes, I assume to come after me"

Salesman " How fast were you going?"

Me " I don't know, wasn't paying attention"

salesman " What's the speed limit, 65?"

me " Yep"

Salesman " Your going to jail. Hope you have on clean underwear. Bubba don't like nasty bitches"

I slow down and sure enough, there is a NM Constable behind me with his bubble gum machine on. I pull over fully expecting to be arrested. Smokey comes sauntering up to my truck and i have my drivers and concealed handgun license in the ready.

Smokey " You know why i stopped you?" Why do thay always ask this?

Me " Uh, maybe going a little fast"

Smokey " You know how fast you were going?"

Me "Not really"

Smokey " I clocked you at 94 MPH. You know this is a 65MPH zone?"

Me " Damn, why is it 65? Ain't nothing but sage brush and spiders out here. I run off the road and i clean your bar ditch"

Smokey " I clocked the guy ahead of you at 91 MPH"

Me " We was fighting for the pole position" I noticed he kinda looked at me from under the brim of his hat and i saw a slight smile cross his face.

Smokey " Are you carrying", I say " Yes Sir"

" What you got?"

" Sig Saur P220, what you got?"

Smokey " None of your damn business. Where is your firearm?

So we get to talking about guns, concealed carry laws and the such and turns out that Smokey is a pretty nice guy. He let me off with a warning and a promise to slow down. I actually slowed down and went on about my business. I had no idea if he called anyone further down the road and i damn sure wasn't going to take a chance.

No comments: