20 November 2008

Walking in a mine field

So i am dating this lady now and i didn't realize how awkward it would be. It is like negotiating a mine field.

After being married for almost ten years i thought i was well trained. Apparently i was wrong. There is a huge difference in dating and marriage. For example, if you tell the one your dating " I am dating you because i want to, not because i need you " they may not take it the way you meant it, or you meant it the way they took it. I am not sure yet. Life is a puzzle.

At 41 years old i guess i am set in some of my ways. I am willing to compromise on some issues but on others i am not willing to budge. I guess we have to see what we are willing to live with or without. I call this the awkward stage.

The time when you have to watch what you say and do. I'll be glad when this is over. For example, she thinks i have a bit of road rage. Do you know how hard it is to drive and not honk the horn or yell at some idiot? I am also learning that an honest answer is not always the best answer. I have to really watch my answers.

I also found that i have to keep her away from my friends that tell stories about some of the stupid things i have done. She doesn't understand why anyone would do that. For example, one night someone dared me to wear a pair of camo speedos to the bar so i did. the problem was i got enough beer in me to show them off. They got pictures.... and they have come back to haunt me. She doesn't think that was funny.

It is what it is and i am what i am. I will be myself and will be accepted as is or rejected. No one is perfect and everyone has baggage. We have to decide what we can live with and draw our line in the sand.

Peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If the camouflage Speedos makes her wonder about you tell her about the time when you and your friends shit in a purse and put two dollars hanging out the top. That ought to make her run for the hills. Hope everything works out the way you want it to. Later.