06 October 2007

You ain't gonna believe this shit

That's the only title i could think of for this post. As you know i have been rebuilding a Lakota 300. I noticed the head gasket was leaking so i ordered another one. Thursday night i tore the engine down to case in preparation for receiving the gasket on Friday.

Friday comes around and i go pick up the gasket. I hightail it home and start rebuilding the top end. I get it all put together and fire it up. It runs like a champ and there is no oil leaking. I run it until it gets hot and then let it sit for an hour or two and then re-torque the head bolts. Everything is going fine so i decide to adjust the air-fuel mixture. After a few turns of the jet i can not get the bike to start. I reset the jet to where i started and it still won't start. I figured i had flooded it out so i went to bed and figured i would try again in the morning.

This morning o couldn't get the bike to do more than an idle. I took the carb off 2 times try ing to fix it and nothing i did seemed to fix the problem. I was dumbfounded. I then noticed that it was blowing gas out of the intake throat to the carb. This perplexed me. I called my Uncle Bill and we started trouble shooting. We agreed that the only thing to cause blow back out the intake was the bike was out of time. I said that i timed it correctly and i guaranteed that the bike was not out of time.

After checking the spark, changing the plug and countless other things, i decided to pull the timing cover off and take a look. It was then that i noticed the bike had " jumped time ". Now anyone familiar with bikes knows that it is almost impossible for a bike to jump time. Come to find out, in my haste i forgot to tighten the Cam Gear Bolt. What an ass.

I pulled the timing gear, chain and tension er and started over. I reset the timimg and put it all back together. I hit the starter switch and she fired right up. I can not believe that i forgot to tighten the bolt. I am lucky that it didn't bend a valve.

No comments: