16 September 2007

A new Suit of clothes

The other day i go down to the Men's Warehouse to buy a new suit. I decided to spend a little more and buy something on the top end of the scale. I picked out a nice charcoal grey pinstripe and walked out with a new suit. I am trying to look as good as my cousin, Pimpage. I stopped just short of the black suede shoes.

So i am watching TV today and watching some old movies. I noticed that everyone back then wore a suit. The only people not wearing one are the farmers and they wear one on Sundays. This got me to thinking why it isn't like that any more. I was reading a study the other day and according to this study, companies who require business dress have more productivity than casual dress. Most companies have a casual Friday and this is the lease productive day of the week. Why is this? Why does the better schools require coat and tie and their students graduate with a much better education? I am not talking about college or prep schools, but this applies to parochial schools. I noticed when my nephew who is 10 switched from Catholic school to public school, his grades plummeted along with his attire.

I have seen this casual attitude drift into everything. It has become the battle cry of the middle class. Back in the day you would walk into a restaurant and see men in suits and women in dresses. Now you people wearing spandex and Velcro and bellied up to the buffet. I wonder of this could be a part of the decline of our society?

I have seen this casual attitude now drift in Church. I saw some people wearing shorts and flip flops today at Mass. Our Priest doesn't like this dress code and about twice a year he talks about it. Why should we have to tell people to wear their best when they go to church? Didn't their parents teach them this?

This casual attitude will slowly creep into all parts of our society and pretty soon emergencies will be a thing of the past. Look at it now, you have an Urgent Care facility taking the place of the Emergency room. Remember the 80's and 90's? Remember when casual sex was the thing? That casual attitude led to AIDS and all types of STD's. What else will this casual attitude effect?

The future is coming but at a laid back casual pace. Those of us who put pride and professionalism ahead of convenience and function at an accelerated rate, will be the new leaders of the future. I look forward to it. We hold ourselves to a higher standard and wish to be judged on our achievements, not the curve.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wearing a suit does not make you smarter or a more proficient worker. If anything it keeps you from focusing on your job, because you are constantly thinking of how uncomfortable you are. It is important to be comfortable. You have a much clearer mind. People who wear suits are usually trying to cover up their own inadiquacies. So, put on your shorts and flip flops because God doesn't give a squat what u are wearing. His only concern is that you worship and abide.

Ray said...

I must disagree. I am comfortable in a suit. Now as for God not giving a squat what you wear to chruch, i think your wrong. Church is a place of reverence. You should dress the part. One shouldn't got to chruch dressed as they would dress for the beach. If you are attired appropriately then your mind will be in the right place when you are in church.

Do everyone a favor and dress nice.