22 June 2007

I will never eat here again

Last month i went to El Paso TX to work a recruiting event at Fort Biggs Army Base. I happened to have our head recruiter coming to El Paso to help me out. I called my crew there in El Paso and told them i wanted to take them out for dinner.

Everyone agreed that we had to go to the State Line for the best steaks and BBQ. Since i was merely riding and picking up the check i didn't really care where we went.

We get to the State Line and it is packed. We were told about a 30 minute wait but we could run a tab in the bar. We gather up and go stand in the bar and enjoy a cocktail. Now remember, this is Hot as Hell West Texas. A cocktail for me and my boys is an ice cold beer. The colder the better.

After about 25 minutes they call our name. I close the tab and go and join the crew at our table. Our waitress comes out and takes our order. We all order beers and some appetizers. The waitress comes back and we order our meal.

About this time i ask for another beer. The waitress comes back and informs me that she can not serve me anymore beer. I have this look of total disbelief on my face and reply with 'Why the hell not?"

She says " You have already had 3 beers and we are not allowed to serve anyone more than three beers"

I look at her and say " You have to be shitting me"
She says " Sorry, you can talk to our manager if you like"

About this time i was really pissed and was about to let forth a string of profanity when the corporate recruiter said " Please have the manager come talk to us"

The manager, a very young man, comes out and the recruiter does a damn good job of explaining why the 3 beer rule doesn't work in the best interest of the restaurant in this situation. He made a very lucid argument but the manager wasn't going to budge. Then i got mad and the redneck came out.

I started to explain to this young man that he was not my father, the government or the police. His job was not to police me and i was a big boy and could handle that by myself. I explained that i was not driving and therefore posed no risk to anyone. About this time my voice was ratcheting up an octave with every other word. I went into great detail about alcohol absorption rates and the correlation between detoxification, absorption and body weight. I explained that i was 6'5" tall and weighed in at 340 lbs and it would take 8 beers in one hour for me to reach legal intoxication. I let him know that there was no law governing the 3 beer rule and that it was bullshit politics on the part of the restaurant and that it would be a cold day in hell before i brought my big ass back to his establishment and furthermore i was going to be the biggest pain in his ass until i got my beer or my food, whichever came first.

It was then that i noticed the several people around us was watching with what was either amazement or horror on their face. The manger split and came back with my beer. He said our food was almost ready and he would have it out momentarily.

I had my beer, ate my steak and flipped him off on my way out the restaurant. I will never go back.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't blame you. Several years ago, some asshat waitress in Seattle lost her job for harassing a pregnant woman who ordered a beer with her dinner. The waitress asked her if she thought it was best for the baby, tried to persuade her to not order one, harangued the woman, and finally brought her the part of the warning label.

Cheryl said...

Go figure, another member of the family with a boycott list.

canivalpo said...

ewww Ray!!!! Don't you know you're not supposed to complain before you get the meal? Did you look your steak over real good?
On the upside, I would have loved to have witnessed seeing you get so p'd off.
Too Cool Man!!