30 May 2007

Vacation

Last Thursday the wife and I drove to Lake Charles Louisiana to spend some time with the family and to attend my cousin's graduation. He is the last grandchild to graduate so my duties of going to graduations has been full filled. I have to admit it was a blast. The thing i miss most about home is the food. Here in West TX its BBQ and mexican food. In LA its crawfish and seafood.

My uncle had a party for his son graduating. We had brisket, ribs, corn and all the fixings. It was a fun time ending with a bonfire. I have to tell you that it is funny for someone who has been drinking to give someone else advise on how to stoke a large bonfire with a tractor. This was the kind of party that spawns the Redneck jokes. It was fun.

Sunday my Dad had a crawfish boil. He lives across the street from a crawfish farm. I took his 4-wheeler and a trailer and went and picked up 4 sacks of the biggest crawfish i have ever seen. We got them right off the boat. Don't get much fresher than that, not one dead one. If one of these was to pinch you, it might break your finger, no lie. My nephew educated me on crawfish. He taught me to tell the sex and age of a crawfish. He can also tell between seed and spawned crawfish. It amazed me that a 17 year old new all this.

Much beer was drank and this event ended with 4-wheelers, 4-wheel drives and pickup trucks doing laps on the race track that they have lawnmower racing on. A typical redneck evening with dinner and entertainment. It don't get much better than that.

A lot of things have changed since i left there in 1985. The place is growing and i am getting older. Sometimes i miss home so much it hurts but then again sometimes i am glad i left. It is always bitter sweet when i go home. I am glad i was able to see my family but after 6 days it was time for me to leave. Hopefully we can do it all again in October when the male members of the family all meet at the hunting lease for opening day.

Life is good.

No comments: