04 April 2007

Jeep

Well i put away my fear and rebuilt my carburetor. When i cracked in half there was so much trash in the bowl. I had found an article on the net that talked about the carter carburetor on the 258cid CJ. They said a common problem was that the idle tubes would get clogged up and cause the gas to drip out of the jet as opposed to mist out. I looked down the throat of the carb and sure enough gas was dripping.

I pulled everything off and got the venturi out and started cleaning. Got it all cleaned and put back together and started it up. It ran great and there was no gas dripping. This lasted about 1 minute then it started running like crap and gas was dripping again.

I figured that there was trash in the carb so i decided to rebuild it. I was right. After i cleaned and re-cleaned everything i put it back together and she seems to be running fine. The rebuild kit cost me $12.98. Not a bad price to pay to get your idle back.

No comments: